Sunday, June 05, 2005

breaker one-nine, for a radio check, comeon?

Summer's here, and for me, that meant a trip back to Ohio. Haven't had a summer go by without Camp CHOF in the last fourteen years, why start now, eh?

The trip back was exciting enough. My sweet mom flew out to Missouri, just so she could ride all the way back with me. Which, granted, has it's pluses and minuses, but overall, it was nice to have someone to talk to. We took our time, kinda. The plan was to stop anywhere that seemed interesting and check it out. That didn't happen as much as I figured. See, once I'm on the road, I'm kinda set for the goal of seeing that powder-blue arch welcoming me to the Buckeye state. Anything but that and and the do-or-die, absolutely necessary, dam-bursting pottie breaks, usually doesn't phase me. Well, we did stop at the most interesting places. Once in St. Louis... Where I was unbelieveably irritated (not a fan of driving a boat around in city traffic.) And then we stopped at Blue Springs Cafe... Home of the Foot-Hi Pie, and the world's coldest bathroom. No joke. Freezing. I think it used to be a meat-locker or something. Even the hand-dryer blew cold air.

The most entertaining element of the trip, by-far, was the CB radio.

--so, this has been sitting here as a draft for oh two months now... procrastination man strikes again. well. i'm going to post it anyway. it was going to be funny... well, that was the plan anyway. as i look back on it, i skipped over many good stories that happened on the way; like east St. Louis. right hurr. i was distracted by the CB radio story... which isn't all that great. some guy kept talking to this trucker and the trucker just said 'copy that' over and over again. it was really funny when i was on the road... but now that i think back, pretty lame. so, i will post this as a reminder to myself of my wrongdoing. like the pile of rocks left over Akin's family after their stoning. (Biblical reference... for more on that, visit Camp CHOF in 2006! -- or read this blog throughout the year, 'cause i'll probably be all about that all year. --)

2 comments:

Samantha Jane said...

I am not sure if you are still updating this or checking what comments you get (probably neither) but I was just a little curious about something. Did you work out at Camp Chof recently or go? I have grown up there and was wondering if I knew you. If you don't have a clue what I am talking about, please just ignore me! Thanks

Jeff said...

well.. yes. I worked at CHOF for oh... eight years or so. and before that, I attended CHOF, well, since I was old enuff for Day Camp. Every summer, every week possible.